Slip and fall accidents can cause life-changing injuries and may cost you in more ways than one. Once you survey the losses that have come from a slip and fall injury, you may begin seeking compensation from the parties responsible for causing you or a loved one to slip and fall. You may face filing a lawsuit or insurance claim if you hope to recover financial relief for your losses, and a Spring Hill slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to handle your claim or lawsuit while you focus on your recovery.
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation about seeking awards after a slip and fall accident in Spring Hill.
The Causes of Slip and Fall Injury
There could be many possible causes of slip and fall accidents, and the likelihood that you encounter a specific slipping hazard may depend on several factors. The local climate, the specific property in question, and other variables may affect your exposure to specific slipping hazards.
Some of the possible causes of slipping include:
- Ice on walkways
- Rain-slicked walkways
- Indoor walkways that accumulate puddles, whether from air conditioner condensation, a leak, or another source of liquid
- Liquid spills
- Loose carpeting
- Loose tiling
- Loose items on the floor
Those who own properties may generally be responsible for spotting these potential slipping hazards and either isolating them or removing them.
How Property Owners May Reduce the Risk of Falls
Property owners in Spring Hill may be held responsible for slip and fall accidents that happen on their property. This may be especially true if the property owner did not take reasonable steps to reduce the risk of slip and fall accidents occurring.
The National Safety Council (NSC) lists some of the ways that those who oversee a property may reduce the risk of slip and fall accidents happening. Preventative measures may include:
- Cleaning spills as soon as they occur
- Removing clutter from walkways
- Ensuring that ice is salted or otherwise removed from walkways
- Putting “Slippery When Wet” signs, cautionary tape, and other alerts around slippery surfaces until they are dry
Property owners may also combat the risk of slip and fall accidents by ensuring that employees understand how to spot and respond to slipping hazards. Monitoring one’s property through employees, video cameras, and other tools may also minimize the risk that slip and falls will occur.
Regardless of whether the property owner took steps to minimize slipping hazards, they may be liable for your losses through the legal principle of strict liability. The Legal Information Institute (LII) explains that a person such as a property owner may be strictly liable for harm that occurs on their property, regardless of whether the harm was intentional or not.
A Spring Hill slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to help you determine whether you have a case for compensation and help you pursue any compensation that you deserve. Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for more details at no cost.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Spring Hill, call 615-651-7451
The Process for Proving Liability
Liability may be central to any lawsuit or insurance claim that you bring after a slip and fall accident. Your lawyer will be tasked with showing that you are the victim of negligence and that the person who was negligent is liable for the losses that you have suffered.
Your lawyer may prove liability by:
- Establishing that the person responsible for your slip and fall accident owed you a duty of care
- Showing that the individual breached their duty of care by exposing you to a slipping hazard
- Proving a link between the individual’s breach of duty care and your slip and fall accident
- Showing that you have suffered losses because of the slip and fall accident
A duty of care may generally mean that a person has a duty to act in a reasonably prudent manner. A reasonably prudent property owner may prevent visitors such as yourself or your loved one from being exposed to slipping hazards and may be deemed negligent if they do not.
Additional Duties of a Lawyer
Your lawyer may provide several specific services as they strive to obtain any compensation that you deserve. Some of the duties that a lawyer may perform are:
- Gathering and organizing evidence related to your slip and fall accident
- Interviewing witnesses who saw your accident happen or can attest to the conditions that caused your accident
- Documenting your losses
- Calculating the compensation that you deserve
- Filing your lawsuit
- Drafting and filing any other paperwork necessary to complete your lawsuit
- Hiring any experts who can help with your lawsuit
- Negotiating a settlement
- Defending your rights
Your lawyer will aim to secure a settlement but will be ready to take your case to trial if settlement negotiations are not successful. If they are able to negotiate a settlement or win a judgment, you may recover compensation for losses such as:
- Income you lose because of your injuries
- The cost of healthcare to diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate your injuries
- The cost of medication related to your injuries
- A permanent or long-term decline in your earning power due to lasting symptoms of your injuries
- Pain and suffering
A slip and fall injury could prove fatal. If you have lost a loved one because of injuries suffered after slipping and falling, then your lawyer may fight for coverage of losses caused by a wrongful death.
Spring Hill Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 615-651-7451
Call the Cochran Firm – Nashville Today
You may be physically and psychologically limited after a slip and fall accident, and a Spring Hill slip and fall accident lawyer may be able to fight your case for compensation while you focus on your health. Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation.
Do not wait to call, as TN Code §28-3-104 notes that you generally have a limited time to bring a lawsuit after a wrongful death or personal injury.