Catastrophic injuries are traumatic or exertional/systemic injuries that severely impact the physical abilities of a person, whether externally or internally. If somebody is at fault for causing a catastrophic injury to yourself or a loved one, you may be able to collect compensation for your losses. A Smyrna catastrophic injuries lawyer may help you with your personal injury case and represent you on your behalf.
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for more details on how we may fight for justice on your behalf.
Catastrophic Injuries Involve Severe Physical Trauma or System Failure
The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research (NCCSIR) provides the basic characteristics of a catastrophic injury. Some specific injuries and characteristics that may define a catastrophic injury are:
- Injuries that cause death
- Injuries that cause permanent disability
- Injuries that could be life-threatening or could, in some cases, impose permanent disability even if you or your loved one ultimately recover
- Severe neck injuries
- Severe head injuries
- Injuries that cause temporary or permanent paralysis
- Cardiovascular injuries
Certain activities may be prone to certain catastrophic injuries. For example, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) notes that athletes who participate in high-impact sports activity may be more prone to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which can drastically change a person’s cognitive functions and even their personality.
What qualifies as a severe or catastrophic injury may be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you believe that your or your loved one’s life was put at risk by an injury or health event, you may have suffered a catastrophic injury, especially if you also experienced multiple forms of trauma and loss.
Catastrophic Injuries Can Inflict Great Loss
You may choose to seek coverage for the losses that you or a loved one endured because of a catastrophic injury. These losses could add up quickly and over the long-term. Some consequences of a catastrophic injury may include:
- That you or a loved one may not be able to work for the foreseeable future
- That you might lose income due to needing to recover or being disabled for a period of time
- That you might have to change professions to work in some capacity
- That your earning power is permanently harmed because of your catastrophic injury
- That you have substantial medical costs from your injury
- That you do not have the same physical or cognitive abilities as you did before your injury
- That you require part- or full-time caregiver assistance
- That you suffered severe pain and suffering
A lawyer can determine each loss you suffered because of a catastrophic injury and seek compensation for those losses from the liable parties.
Determining Fault for a Catastrophic Injury
There are plenty of ways that a catastrophic injury can occur, as the world is full of danger. A catastrophic injury may lead you to pursue compensation when someone’s actions or failures to take precautionary actions cause the injury.
Some causes of a catastrophic injury include:
- Medical malpractice
- Sports injury
- Motor vehicle accident
- Pedestrian-involved collision
- Animal attack
- An accident caused by dangerous premises
- Slip and fall
- Trip and fall
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation about how a Smyrna catastrophic injuries lawyer may be able to help you pursue compensation for your injuries and losses.
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injuries lawyer serving Smyrna, call 615-678-6278
A Lawyer May Provide Several Legal Services to Support Your Case
A catastrophic injury may bring on losses that overwhelm your finances and permanently change your way of life. Your legal team may help you calculate the total extent of your losses before submitting your claim. However, an insurance company may not offer enough compensation to cover your damages. If this becomes the case, your lawyer may advise that you bring a personal injury lawsuit to pursue compensation.
If you choose to bring a lawsuit, your lawyer may provide advice and strategy, defend your rights, and ensure that your lawsuit is completed. Your lawyer may also offer to perform the following tasks:
- Determine who caused your injury
- Determine the parties who bear some responsibility for your losses
- Obtain and organize the documentation of your injuries
- Collect relevant evidence to your lawsuit
- Consult experts to provide testimony
- Calculate your losses
- Interview witnesses to your accident and any other relevant events
- File your lawsuit
- Handle any necessary court appearances
- Negotiate a settlement
If your lawyer is not able to negotiate a fair settlement, they may take your case to trial.
Determining Fair Compensation for You
Your lawyer may help you determine the amount of compensation that you are entitled to collect, based on the losses you suffered and losses you can reasonably expect to suffer. Your lawyer may identify and list specific losses that you should be compensated for, which may include:
- Medical expenses
- Reduced earning power
- Lost income
- The cost of in-home care for you or your loved one
- The cost of physical and cognitive rehabilitation
- The value of lost personal or professional opportunities
- The value of pain and suffering
Smyrna Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer Near Me 615-678-6278
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville About Your Catastrophic Injury
A Smyrna catastrophic injuries lawyer may support you on your journey toward compensation. Our legal team wants you to spend more time and energy on your recovery and other important matters. We understand that catastrophic injuries can bring about extreme changes to a person’s life. Having to navigate the legal process of a claim or lawsuit can be overwhelming when you are trying to recover from your injuries.
Let us help you build your case. Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation about our services.