The city of Franklin lies just south of Nashville, making it near one of the major emerging cities in the United States. The hustle and bustle of Nashville means a steady stream of large trucks travel in and out of the city on a regular basis. So, when these and other trucks are involved in accidents, serious damage may occur.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury or death because of an accident involving a truck, then a Franklin truck accident lawyer may be able to bring a lawsuit on your behalf. Call our team at The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation.
Franklin Is Growing and Trucking Is a Part of the Growth
According to the City of Franklin, it is a locale with approximately 78,000 residents. That number continues to rise as nearby Nashville continues to attract transplants, who may find that Franklin is a history-rich, attractive place to settle. As Franklin’s population grows alongside Nashville, new construction and industry must keep up with the pace.
Trucks are one of the mechanisms for facilitating growth, so you might encounter large trucks on the roads of Franklin with regularity. This is fine, so long as truck drivers and fleet owners take the necessary steps to protect others from danger.
The Responsibilities Truckers and Fleet Owners Have to Protect Others
Individuals who own, service, and drive trucks have a great safety responsibility because:
- Fully-loaded large trucks may weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, which is the limit set by the Federal Highway Administration (FHA). This can do massive damage if that weight collides with another vehicle or pedestrian.
- The size and weight of trucks may make them more difficult to maneuver, which is why commercial truck drivers must have a special license, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Large trucks may carry hazardous material that could exponentially increase the damage they cause when compared with a crash not involving hazardous materials.
There are several examples of risks that truck drivers and fleet owners might take before or while driving, which may breach their responsibility of keeping others safe from serious harm on the road. Some of these risks taken by truck drivers and fleet owners include:
- A fleet owner who does not properly or consistently service their trucks for maintenance, whether out of laziness, excessive thriftiness, or another motivation
- A truck driver who uses drugs or alcohol before or during driving as a means to stay awake during long shifts, out of boredom, because of an addiction, or for any other reason, as noted by Reuters
- A truck driver who engages in any dangerous motorist behaviors that can cause an accident, such as texting while driving, speeding, tailgating, or otherwise failing to obey road rules
- A truck driver who succumbs to fatigue, which may happen if they do not abide by drive time limits
If these risks or other forms of negligence contributed to the accident involving you or your loved one, then one or more parties might be held responsible for covering your losses. Call our team at The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 to find out how a Franklin truck accident lawyer may assist you in pursuing compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Franklin, call 615-678-6278
What a Truck Accident Lawyer May Do for You
A lawyer can help you take legal action in response to an injury or death stemming from a truck accident. In a general sense, a lawyer may:
- Save you the time and effort that you would need to expend if you chose to represent yourself
- Lend you their legal knowledge and skill set
- Protect you from anyone who would violate your rights
- Serve as your ally in your pursuit of compensation
More specifically, your lawyer might:
- Handle the collection of evidence for your case with possible help from third-party investigators
- Assess the harm that you or your loved one has endured because of the truck accident, and calculate the compensation that you may be entitled to, based on their assessment
- Draft and file your lawsuit and any subsequent legal documents that may be necessary to further your lawsuit
- Obtain and organize documentation of your injuries to show examples of the harm you sustained
- Answer any questions and address any concerns that you may have throughout the course of your lawsuit
- Defend your rights
A preliminary yet critical aspect of any lawsuit is identifying the defendant or defendants by name, as you will be accusing them of negligence and asking the court, or the defendants’ attorneys, that the defendants compensate you for your losses. In a trucking accident case, possible defendants may include:
- The driver of the truck that caused your accident
- The owner of the truck that caused your accident, as they may be a different person than the driver of the truck
- A local government if poor road conditions, dangerously assembled road crews, or other controllable factors contributed to your accident
Additional parties could be held liable for your accident and injuries, and your lawyer may assess the specifics of your case to make this determination. If your lawyer is successful, you may receive compensation for your losses, such as:
- Health care costs
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
Franklin Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 615-678-6278
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville Today
A Franklin truck accident lawyer can take the legal burden of pursuing compensation off your hands. Call our team at The Cochran Firm – Nashville today at (615) 651-7451 for a free consultation.