If you or a loved one was the victim of a Columbia car accident, you might qualify for financial compensation to help you cope with your injuries.
Call The Cochran Firm – Nashville at (615) 651-7451, day or night. We can assess your case at no charge and tell you if a Columbia car accident lawyer may be able to help you pursue compensation.
How Car Accidents Can Happen
According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), human error may be responsible for up to 90 percent of all car accidents. Such errors can take the form of:
- Being distracted: Cell phones make it easier than ever for drivers to get distracted. However, a driver’s attention may be stolen by anything, from car passengers to a song on the radio.
- Speeding: Exceeding the speed limit or refusing to slow down during bad weather can make it hard for a driver to maintain control of their vehicle.
- Drunk driving: Drinking and driving is illegal in Tennessee, according to the Tennessee Code §55-10-401. This is because alcohol impairs your reflexes and your ability to make good decisions.
- Ignoring traffic signals: Blowing through a red light or not stopping at a stop sign puts law-abiding drivers and pedestrians at risk.
Other accidents may occur because of factors, such as:
- Mechanical errors: A problem with the car itself, like defective brakes or tires, caused the driver to lose control.
- Objects in the road: A construction crew left dangerous objects in the roadway, or an animal darted into the car’s path.
- Adverse weather: Precipitation made the roadway slick, or fog affected visibility.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Columbia, call 615-651-7451
You May Qualify for Damages
Car accidents can cause serious injuries to your:
- Head, e.g., concussion, traumatic brain injury (TBI), or a skull fracture
- Neck and shoulders, e.g., whiplash
- Back, e.g., herniated disc, ruptured disc, slipped disc, or a pinched nerve
- Arms and legs, e.g., amputation, fractures, or lacerations
You may experience any of these injuries in addition to the emotional trauma of surviving a crash or losing a loved one, the financial cost of treating your injuries, fixing your car, and several other damages. You may be able to sue for compensation to account for your special and general losses.
For the purpose of your lawsuit, all of your injuries will be classified as either economic damages or non-economic damages.
When pursuing economic damages, you may account for your monetary losses, such as:
- Loss of wages, e.g., the income you were not able to earn while you stayed home from work to recover
- Loss of earning capacity, e.g., the money you should have been able to earn in the future but now cannot do so due to the severity of your injuries
- Medical bills, e.g., the money you spent on hospital visits, follow-up appointments, tests, surgeries, medications, etc.
- Funeral bills, e.g., the money you spent on your loved one’s funeral service, burial, cremation, etc.
Noneconomic damages compensate you for physical, emotional, and mental losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering, e.g., the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries
- Quality of life, e.g., the activities you had to give up or that you now need help with because of your injuries
- Loss of consortium, e.g., the fact that your injuries have impacted your relationship with your spouse
- Loss of companionship, e.g., the fact that the accident has robbed you of someone you loved and who loved you back
If you are struggling to pay your bills or support your family in the wake of a car accident, consider hiring a Columbia car accident lawyer. Their representation might allow you to relax and recover in peace instead of spending all your time worrying about legal matters. To find out more, contact The Cochran Firm – Nashville at (615) 651-7451.
Columbia Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 615-651-7451
What a Lawyer Can Do for You
After a car accident, you deserve to be able to focus entirely on your recovery. This can be difficult if you have a lot of bills to pay or if you decide to file a lawsuit.
The Cochran Firm – Nashville would like to help you with your case. During your initial consultation, we will tell you honestly and openly if you have a case. Then, if you hire us, your lawyer may serve as your legal guide and representative during every step of your lawsuit, including:
During the Investigation
Before beginning a lawsuit, it is important to know the identity of all liable parties, catalog and quantify your injuries, and have evidence backing up your story. Your lawyer may be able to build your case by collecting evidence (e.g., medical and police records). They may use this evidence to argue why you qualify for compensation from the liable party’s insurance company.
At the Negotiating Table
The insurance company may be reluctant to admit the liable party is at fault and that you qualify for damages. Your lawyer may serve as your advocate during any negotiations. In addition to arguing on your behalf, they may present evidence uncovered during the investigation to prove you are entitled to receive compensation.
In the Courtroom
In some cases, the insurance company simply will not offer a fair settlement. This can be frustrating, but it does not have to be the end of the road. If you want to take your case to court, your lawyer may be able to continue to advocate for you before a judge and jury.
Over the Phone
We know how complex and even intimidating the legal process can be. Whenever you have questions about your case or the law more generally, just call us. We are happy to put your fears and concerns to rest. We will also do our part by providing you with regular updates about your case.
The Cochran Firm – Nashville wants to join you in your fight for justice and fair compensation. Call us at (615) 651-7451 to get a free case evaluation. A Columbia car accident lawyer from our firm may work for you on a contingency-fee-basis, which means you do not own any attorney’s fees unless they win your case.